Friday, May 29, 2009

The Weight of Europe

With two weeks to go, I am dying. 

Euros to dollars

Kilometers to miles

Military time to real time

Foreign language to American

Train or Plane.

Madrid to Paris to Venice to Rome or Madrid to Rome to Venice to Paris

Hostels or Hotels

Day Trains or Overnight

Reservations or on the fly

That sort of shit.

It is a lot of planning and a lot of decision-making for something which could turn out to be one of the best summers of my life.  If and only if, Alyse and I don't die first, which is a real possibility. 

Other than that, I am enjoying my time at home. Movies every night, pool and hanging out all day. It's the life. 

If you get time, see "Taking Chance." It's an HBO film and it's excellent. Kevin Bacon is an old marine, who volunteers to take the body of a dead soldier back to the family. Powerful stuff. My dad says that it's non-political, but it is distinctly anti-war and I couldn't agree more. It should be on-demand or online, check it out. 

And if you are in need of a lighter film, watch MASH. Straight Classic.




1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you... you're going to have a fabulous time. Are you guys going on any tours?? I'm so excited for St. Petersburg - they have a special Dostoevsky Crime and Punishment tour where they take you through all of the places Raskolnikov went through.

    By the way, Diana reminded me to send out postcards so I'll bug you later for your address.

    ReplyDelete

visitors